What is the biggest draw/attraction to mormonism?

I am curious to know what others see as the biggest draw or attraction to mormonism? For my mom, who was a convert at 23 years old, it was the emotional intensity and the draw of being superior and knowing something that others don't know.

My 6 siblings and I were born into the church so we had no choice in the matter, but out of the 5 who have stayed active TBMs the draw is also the feeling of superiority and the default living. They live by default and don't have to think, parent, etc because they just default to all church teaching and outlines. The attitude of superiority is a hug divide between me and my TBM family members. I don't think that gap will ever be bridged because they refuse to respect the way I live, although I make a huge effort to respect their desire to live TBM.

Just curious to know what others see as the major draw or attraction of the LDS church?

Views: 1852

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are people that DO need structure in their life, they need someone to overloa=rd and tell them that they are good kids and pat them on the head.   Your post is accurate.  I view it more like feeding cattle through a trough to get them on a transport truck.  "Good Cow", and lead them on with hay, old apples and what ever works towards the owners needs.  Salt Lake is no different.  

I am sure that there are many head hunters in New Guinea that truly enjoy their life and way of living.  It does not make it acceptable.  Salt Lake is just damned goofy and so full of itself.   They bear testimony to each other on the goodness of their ways and how their ancestors that fought the rough seas and endured terrible hardships to be where they are (in grass skirts and spears with no shoes).  Their ancestors, and they can see their faces on the shelf, were blessed and fortunate to do as they did.  

I strongly dislike the way Salt Lake does things and have no problem on calling them out on it.  I still remember a self believing Mission President stating that this  (rainbow discussion book) is inspired and cannot be improved upon.  Missionaries all looked at each other, smiled, and said "yes".  The, a week later the discussion book that was written by God and could not be improved upon,  ...was changed by the advertising department, I mean inspired leaderships, in the COB missionary Department.

Its all orchestration!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCliZ_wDlw  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMUWG7ad2s&feature=relmfu  The people wailing have issues as well

They are so acclimated to their own stink that they do not smell it any more.

Don 

I think you make a good point Don and I don't pretend to know or advise anyone on how they should feel on any subject. I just know that for me it is better to accept the good in what I see and not focus on the bad. I have found that when I hate someone or some organization, I am suddenly one with them.

As for me I prefer to look for the good and stay away from the bad and try not to judge anyone for their choices. I rarely achieve my goal, but striving to acheive something positive keeps me balanced in some healthy way.

Another excellent post Don.  I love the perfect rainbow book story and the head-hunter analogy. 

Very well said Stacy Lynne. I think fear governs a great deal of the actions of many LDS members. I know it governed me for years.

Life on the outside is hard but it was so much harder trying to live up to expectations that were impossible and blindly following concepts that just don't add up if indeed one does want to use their mind and think.

Thanks for your comment, it helps so much to know were aren't alone!

Love your post William.  "Try Harder."  Ain't it the truth?

Sari I think I wrote this somewhere but can't find it. I'm on my not so smart phone...attraction to the church is many.... Like its the only true church. You is gonna be ah god... Yeeepee. All other churches are false ... You have the corner market on god . And you belong to something bigger than ones self. The members are all in agreement. Believing the same thing it's like a big ole party of spiritually dead people that are alive. I had to attend my brothers going away on a mission with his wife, not too long ago, as I sat there watching the people and listening to the speakers one after another i felt such oppression and lifelessness, this is one of many reasons i left. No joy in all the faces of these people just sitting there. Anyway it really did make me uncomfortable for a minute. I just am glad i am out. Williams comment about keeping members in line... In my opinion fear is a huge part . The fear of failure not to be good enough. So you try harder. It's a big one but it's not the only one. The churches expectations are so high the goal of perfect is not attainable. It's impossible. Pressure from the church, peers etc make things more stressful. So it's a number of things. I like Williams comments. I just think fear is a huge thing. The church uses worthy way too much. The fear of not being worthy is ah big one.

Wow, so well said William! That viscous cycle tortured me for years. It is so hard to look back on my years as a TBM and not feel like they were a complete loss and waste....essentially, a hamster running on a wheel going nowhere!!!

That insight is very well stated Sari. My X husband joined the church when he was 16. His best friend lured him into reading the BOM by glamorizing the war stories. X then read the book and claimed to get a euphoric feeling "knowing" it was true. However knowing him like I do (did) I know he never read the entire book or ANY entire book. He probably just got pumped up on the parts he read. I think his main attraction to the church was a sense of family and belonging somewhere he could get up on a high place and look down at people whom he thought were threatening to him or he was jealous of. His own family consisted of two drunken parents who were indifferent, never told him they loved him and a brother who was on drugs and running around. Then his father died. He too used drugs all through high school and the church was a social club and gave him the "power of the priesthood" that he told boys who tried to beat him up that he had to scare them. He was VERY insecure and attempted to learn martial arts through friends and played sports to stay in shape. His family was poor and he lived in a gang infested area of L.A. He was a lonely obnoxious boy who if his type was observed today would be an obvious target for a cult.

KimC...i can relate all too well, your X and my X had some common threads. My X turned out to be bipolar and I do owe him the thanks of helping me get out of the morg.

I have seen the "power of the priesthood" used in one too many evil ways. I have no respect for it and think it is merely a power tool, not a God given gift.

I think what you said about your X being a target for a cult is a good point...I am not cult material and never will be, which explains a great deal of why I spent so many years trying to fit in but never ultimately could give myself up to the 'ideals' of the church.

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Top Content This Week 

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service