I have invested over thirty years in studying the Bible and about it. I've been to Israel and seen the proof of the archeological digs. It is infallible, it's historical record is validated in every way. The Qumran manuscripts  (They found all but two of the Old Testament books) are nearly a thousand years older than the manuscripts used to translate the Old Testament we use, yet there were only minor grammatical differences.  Where there was no archeological proof of the Book of Mormon, yet there are literally tens of thousands of manuscripts, codices, archeological digs, and non-Christian Historical accounts, objectively validating  the Bible. Additionally there are literally thousands of prophesies from the Bible that have been fulfilled, some are jaw dropping amazing like the exact date that Israel would become a nation in 1948.  There were over 300 such prophesies about Jesus,  for instance where and when he would be born, what his genealogy would be, where he would travel, how he would die, that the centurions would gamble over his cloak, etc.etc.  All of these were recorded  between 1,200 and  400 years before he lived on earth. The probability that Jesus of Nazareth could have fulfilled even eight such prophecies would be only 1 in 1017.  1017 silver dollars would be enough to cover the entire state of Texas two feet deep. Now I've lived in Texas. I've driven across Texas. Texas is a very big state. Who in his right mind would suppose that a blindfolded man, heading out of Dallas by foot in any direction, would be able, on his very first attempt, to find and pick up one specifically marked silver dollar out of 100,000,000,000,000,000? This is only fulfilling eight prophesies, not three hundred. Is the Bible valid? You bet, do the research and find out for yourself.

Views: 438

Replies to This Discussion

There are a few (easily pointed out) flaws in some of the "evidence" (dare I even use that word?) that has been presented here. First of which is the mention of the Qumran manuscripts.Which contains some of the most ridiculous writings to date (see the book of the Giants: Dead Sea Scrolls) As far as historical writings go this pushes the limits of accurate beyond even HP Lovecraft! Continuing with the Qumran manuscripts, the dating system that puts the Scrolls in the time frame that has all the creationists in a giggle is none other than ISOTOPE DATING. The very system many Christians disdain and speak out as flawed because it puts the Earth's age completely out of the ball park from their own "Biblical Time line". As for the archeological evidence of the Bible from digs, I'll put it this way: The digs support that the Bible existed, that the writings are congruent anthropologically with other digs in other areas concerning the gods they worshipped in those regions. (See the numerous Gods that Jesus seems to have 'plagiarized'- http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date...)

Next you mention the the prophesies of Jesus's birth, well there's no mistaking that the New Testament can't make up it's mind about his genealogy. Matthew's list for Jesus's birth rite goes on even longer than Marks!  And if the fact that their numbers don't add up is bad, what's worse is that the NAMES don't even match! Next we have the fact that neither Matthew, Mark or Luke could agree on the facts of Jesus's birth. 

Matthew says the angel went to Mary to tell her about her soon to have son, Luke says that the angel went to Joseph! Finding consistency in the bible is indeed harder than a fitting a camel through the eye of a needle! 

And the then there's the point of the virgin birth, if Jesus was born of a virgin- then WHY do we list his (debatable and inconsistent) genealogy through Joseph??! Have we reached the land of myth yet or do we need further examples? 

In short I could write a very-VERY large book on the inconsistencies of the bible and it's prophesies that you consider to be valid evidence (how I cannot even fathom) for proof of the validity of the 'so called' history the bible laughably presents. As for the anecdote of silver dollars, I can't help but ask, why? Why post a silly anecdote about something so ridiculous that has no weight or prevalence with OBJECTIVITY? If you want us to look at the bible objectively then maybe do some research and try posting VERIFIABLE resources instead of supposedly meaningful anecdotes. 

As for doing the research, we have, which is why we're atheists. 

Claude,

I see no harm in converting the converted. I suggest you form your own group and help reinforce the faith of your fellow Christians. I never understood why Mormon's didn't work harder at keeping their members.  You have put a lot of years into forming your beliefs, why not use it to help others who might be struggling.

It is impossible to convert me because I can't find a way to suspend logic. I have no interest in converting anyone to my way of thinking. I seek no converts and ask for no money. I'm happy you found something you believe in. I just don't know why Christians have to be so annoying about shoving it down people's throats.

Good luck

Bar Kokhba

Thank you, I've enjoyed the intercourse.

Claude

Of course some of the events in the bible have a historical reality but many are simply stories told around the camp fire to build an ethnic based faith that was used to unite and control a nation, just as Islam and Mormonism did. The writer of Luke was the true genus as he connected Paul to the apostles and the New Testament to the old creating a false séance of Biblical fulfillment. Sure Jesus was the son of God, born  of a virgin and did miracles just did Hercules, Apollonius, Mithras, Dionysus, Buddha, Attis, Augustus Caesar and many other in the Greek and Roman world. The writers of Jesus just attributed the powers and accolades of the known Gods of the time.

Claude, if you want to see how far the rabbit hole of deception goes, try reading "The 12th Planet", or "The Gods of Eden" - evidence of the truth of some biblical stories...but when you find out who "the god of the bible" really is, you will lose your faith in god, (little g on god clearly intended) the Easter Bunny and Santa all at once.  Go ahead, I dare you!  ;o)  (then when your done, check out the "Ring of Power" and "The Zion King" videos by Grace Powers....that should send you on your way through the rabbit hole really fast!

Well this an old article. I just spent 8 years in University with a major of Biblical studies. It was written by man to control the masses and to give  hope to some. There is no fulfilled prophesy in the Bible except for the verses that have bee taken out of context to support a particular view.

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service