Just for fun, let's make a list of "What year did you stop believing?"

Mine was the beginning of 2007. (I guess my children would be 2007 too)

My husband stopped believing in 2006.

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I and my adult children have left, and my ex-husband has gone back to catholicism.

I never really believed!

Not sure I ever *really* believed, deep down. But I was raised in the church and went along with it most of my life, with a sizable period of inactivity (and not serving a mission). But it was 2006 when I came to the conclusion that the adam and eve story was false. (Some years before that I had rejected the literal flood account.)

I went back and forth putting this knowledge "on the shelf" versus putting the church there instead until a few months ago, when I'd had enough. Knowing the church wasn't true but thinking the leaders were sincere and really believed it, I started looking into the life of Joseph Smith and the early days of the church, trying to understand where Joseph went so wrong. From this I concluded that even if I believed in a divine creator of humanity (which I didn't), I still wouldn't believe in the church. And I think at least some of the GAs know enough to at least think the church is likely not what it claims to be.

So... 2006 was the main point where I stopped believing in the church, cemented in 2010 (which is also when I told DW), still haven't told my parents and siblings, maybe 2011.

November 2009 I stoped goin to church and took off my garments! Gosh weren't they aweful!
Summers are much nicer, aren't they?

Oh gosh! speaking of garments, the first time I took mine off was to garden, and guess who showed up while I was in my cool, sleeveless top! My husbands great aunt and uncle, who took us through the temple to get our endowments and marry.

It was so weird because they NEVER came to visit in the past! How did they know?!

Oh well, his aunt lectured us and told us we could never take her testimony away, (we had not tried, honestly!) sigh. that was about 5 years ago when we went from being their sweethearts to the very naughty apostates.

Let's see. The first inclination that this all was a bunch of shit was when I was probably 5-7 years old and I was told I wouldn't be able to see my family members if they went to a different "kingdom" than myself. I literally left church and cried in the parking lot next to the family mini van. I was always a skeptic. I was constantly asking questions and starting debates since I was a kid.  It got to the point that my mom would just send me out of the room when missionaries and visiting teachers came over (hags).

I officially stopped going to church in High School when my mom couldn't make me go anymore, and that was 1997ish. I have been high on caffeine and sex ever since. 

We really shouldn't "sweat" the garment shit.  I mean, I don't wear short shorts because I'm a lazy ass and don't shave that part of my legs.  Oh I know, I know, too much information.  But I love my sleeveless tops and summer dresses during the heat!  I will fess up to watering my flowers in my swim suit from time to time simply because when the temp is over 100 I'm gonna sweat like hell before I make it back in.  For those of you who are like me, and still believe in a higher power, God, continuing energy, psychic theories, you name it, you don't have to dress a certain way to please anyone, unless may you are pleasing your significant other.  All we really need to strive to do is be nice to each other.  Even the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Ahem.  Only a few of you know my story of actually making friends with these folks!
Caffeine is a nice drug, is it not?  Before being diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, along with some other fun stuff, I was taking caffeine pills before I went to work each day just so I could get my work done.  Legal speed.

I was raised Mormon, and from very early on something about the whole set up just seemed wrong. I never felt good after going to church or thinking about church, and that was not the way I felt church was supposed to be. It was probably the early 80's when I knew that this was not something I could continue to believe in, if I ever believed at all. It was more being raised in the church and being terrified on a weekly basis. It still bothers me to think about it, even 30 years later. That kind of brainwashing runs deep.

This is the part I don't get...Shunning your own family for leaving, having a blood transfusion, having other religious materials in the home, going to other church's occasions, the list seems an endless one man tirade of nonsense.  And as a public school teacher, it has always been difficult for my husband to have to deal with Jehovah's Witnesses at every single holiday.  They cannot participate.  Only sit in class and read a book.  They cannot even eat a cookie at a child's birthday celebration.  These people are nuts.  But, like I alluded to earlier, this has become even nuttier, because we aren't even talking religion anymore.  We're talking like friends.  Glad your wife is the love of your life.  My husband is mine as well.
Wild! I'm expecting a visit from one today, and I'm going to ask her about this shunning practice of family members.  Even if they think there's something that needs to be forgiven, didn't Christ say seventy times seven?

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service