As our community continues to grow in numbers and expand in diversity, the LAM Administrative team has enhanced the "House Rules" and updated the User Agreement Policy(UAP) and Terms of Service(TOS) to preserve and promote harmony and respect in the community.  Please take a moment at your convenience to read over the House Rules and familiarize yourself with the UAP and TOS.  Going forward, all LAM-ers will be expected to keep the House Rules and UAP/TOS agreements.  It is hoped that this will aid in clarifying inappropriate posts or behaviors that may result in suspension from LAM and preserve and promote an environment that is agreeable to all.  Your feedback is welcomed and may be shared in a reply to this forum post or through a message to Micah (MikeUtah) or in an email to lifeaftermormonism@live.com.

Sincerely,

The LAM Administrative Team

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One question.  Frequently other religions are discussed.  I've used examples as reasons for PTSD.  Would this be considered hateful?  Or, what would be a better way of discussing these "touchy" subjects?  I've tried to be general about my situation, and things that have happened since leaving the church, but sometimes personal topics do come up.  Can you elaborate on this a little?

Here is a clarifying reply that I also posted on the "What if I'm wrong" video:

I understand where you are coming from and the concern that what one shares as beliefs will be misinterpreted by others as preaching.  I intend to lean on the side of acceptance rather than swift intolerance, meaning, look before I leap and examine the intentions behind the post before issuing warnings or suspensions, and if in doubt, let it be or approach the user to try understand them better.  I do hope LAM can be a safe place for all exmos, whether they are exmos to Christ, to Buddha, to Zeus, or to nothing.  The one warning that was issued for preaching was primarily do to the member private messaging several people, unsolicited, their beliefs and website, so it was a matter of perceived preaching and spamming.  I'm more tolerant of beliefs being shared in the open forum when they are on topic, so long as understanding from both sides is the goal and the discussion remains civil.

Anyways, don't be afraid to share your beliefs when they are on topic, but don't be surprised if they are responded to with ...skepticism and with sources or evidence that may begin to erode your own faith as occurred in Mormonism.  In the words of a pretty smart fellow, "Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction.  Faith built on fiction is a damnable false hope."

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Top Content This Week 

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service