I've noticed so many of you who have left the church seem to have lost your belief in God. I feel like I'm having a  hard time fitting in because I do still believe in God or in something bigger than us...just that I have to believe in something. I'm struggling a bit now with this so I may babble. I've started researching other religions/beliefs, trying to find something that feels right to me.  Sometimes I wonder if I feel I have to believe in something because I am so afraid of death. Or because it's been so ingrained in me my whole life. I have major issues with organized religion. I don't want to be "shopping" for something. I love the peaceful feeling that Buddhism and Wicca brings. I read a Bible verse a day and there is so much violence or vengeance. Yet I remember one time crying because I wondered what I had done to deserve something so good that had come into my life and I heard a voice clearly saying "Don't you think I know what you need?" - was that God?  It's such a confusing time for me and I wonder how you all handle it because I know you have all been through something similar.

Sorry for the rambling...it's the only way I know how to write, to just let it come out with my thoughts.

Views: 608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robin,

I have not read this entire thread, but I know how you feel and went through a similar process of searching for many years.  Rather than go into a long diatribe about my personal journey, maybe these two videos will help you with your own.

This one helped me to understand our need to search for answers and to belong to something greater (he talks fast at first but hang in there and you will understand why I posted it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

This one helps to sift out unreliable information--since there is so much out there--and rely on my own observation and conclusions in discerning truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epw9ZVO_-Cc

Good luck to you!

My religion now is "Oh God!"  I have such irreverant fun now that "Oh My God" is the theme of my life >:-) 

Though when I first left the LDS box I felt like I still needed to have a belief system that included God and Jesus.  What I found when I went "shopping" was that most churches are all the same, just different spins on whose Jesus is better and who is the worst sinner.  I was tired of judging others through someones elses percieved set of rules and  I really didn't want to give 10% of my money to anyone who told me that I had to or I was selfish and going to Hell. 

As of now I don't know if there is a God, was ever a Jesus and honestly it doesn't affect my life.  I look into my childrens eyes and see their beauty, potential and divinity.  Family, friends, fun, kindness and being helpful are the tenets of my faith.  If you'd like to join my little cult you are welcome

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service