#1 reason for leaving the mormon faith? Please share your experience.

I'm interested in hearing the number one reason why everyone left the mormon church. What was the final straw that broke the camels back for you? Please be specific. I realize for most it's for various reasons, but if you could narrow it down to one or two reasons I'd really be interested in hearing about it. Was it a certain doctrine taught? Was it something from the history? Was it the way it made you feel? Did you have some kind of spiritual experience or vision telling you to leave? etc. etc. Please share. Thanks

Views: 12210

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed. One of the most damning pieces of evidence (for me) was looking at the PoGP. On one of the images in there, there is hieroglyphics... There was a document leaked [from the vault] of Joseph's [feeble] attempts to translate it. He couldn't have been more wrong. He wanted to pretend that each character translated into an entire paragraph (a complex idea) where really in hieroglyphics, each character represents a word (like Kanji in Japanese or Chinese). He just got it so wrong it was laughable, so how on earth could he have gotten correct a whole book translated from Reformed Egyptian (by the way there is no such language historically) to English? He couldn't have because he didn't even get that little bit of PoGP correct. Even if he "goofed" up and it was more like a language that was of more latter day Native Americans, it would have been a similar righting system. Native Americans also use a 1 character/ word writing style in their record keeping (but there's not much of anything written by them, most of the history of Native Americans was handed down orally). Anyhow, I just thought that was interesting.

I hear that. These are just two examples of why the church is bogus and the list seems to never end. And these are facts. No faith or warm and fuzzy feelings needed to decipher this.

Love your posting! Wish some TBM's could read this, but they would only read the part about your reason for excommunication and base everything on that - I know they would - it would not be the first time. Thanks for sharing.

I totally agree. They would think, Excommunicated=Possessed by the devil. But afterall that's the way the church has conditioned them (us). The church has to because those outside the church can see things more  clearly. The last thing the church needs is us sharing the truth and the members realizing the truth. So since they can no longer control us and our sharing the truth, they have to control how the members perceive the truth. If there's a judgement day, I want to be there and see all the prophets of the church that perpetuated this hoax, and see them get their come-uppins. PRICELESS!

Like you said, there were many factors. But I think the big issue for me was the attitude toward women and even worse, gays. Even if I knew the church wasn't God's One True Church, I could still find justifications to stay active if it weren't for these very current, real world problems I don't want to be part of or pass on to my future children.

I truly believe there will come a time when the church changes their tune towards gays just as they did towards blacks. Who knows what their explantion will be. How the heck do they explain the deal with blacks, after Joseph Smith ordained blacks with the priesthood and then Brigham Young decides he doesn't like that. Did the blacks do something to offend God between Joseph Smith reign and Brigham Young taking over? More overtime for the apologists. Even in this economy there's plenty of work for them.

I didn't know women were practicing the laying on of hands. Looks like we both learned something.

I found this online. A bit lengthy but talks about Mormon women having the priesthood and practicing laying on of hands.   http://www.mormonheretic.org/2011/02/19/stapleywright-discuss-heali...

I've mentioned these sites on here but in case you didn't see it, these are great with a lot of information that would take someone years to find on their own.    http://www.mormonthink.com/      and

http://exmormonscholarstestify.org/testimonies.html

Here's a long article about women giving blessings. It's a long article and done by the church so who knows how truthful  it is or what spin has been put on it.    http://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/115-6-30-43.pdf

I haven't left the church, but if I were to do so it would be because of the abundance of faithless members of the church leadership like bishops etc, that go by there stupid church handbook and leave little room for actual revelation... I can't stand how members are so ignorant in there own little world. I believe JS was a prophet and that the church was restored to the earth... But I can't stand how these people explain away so many things in the bible in there own twisted light. I believe HF lead me to this church for a reason... I believe so much in different doctrines of the church that I find it hard to go to other churchs because of the differences in doctrine... But I can't deal with being among people in this church that are so ignorant and have so little faith. I hate the culture too... I thought if I got out of utah it would be different, but its all the same everywhere... I have done a lot of study into so called deep doctrine and anti mormon stuff... But I don't see anything that has caused me to leave just yet... The DNA thing was a big one for me, but when I prayed about it I seemed to get the answer that when god changed the laminites he did so by changing there DNA structure... I am open to learning more. I don't know where to go I believe the church was true at one point but I am starting to believe that it has fallen away from what it was intended to be. I believe the Book of Mormon is true. I believe that there is a god in heaven and that jesus is my savior... but all the rest is causing me to wonder... I have started going to other churches and enjoy the worship where I have gone... Right now I am just unsure about the church as it now stands... there is so much manipulation it disgusts me... They are so spiritually dead.....

Check out these sites. These sites deal with facts. Are you familiar with the problems with the Book of Abraham? They found the original papyrus that Joseph Smith translated it from and they were translated by many different modern experts and the papyrus didn't say anything close to what is read in the Book of Abraham. So Joseph Smith made up the entire book.   Here's a great award winning documentry on the book of Abraham:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

The sites below are outstanding if you're interested in finding the truth. 

http://www.mormonthink.com/      and

http://exmormonscholarstestify.org/testimonies.html

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service