#1 reason for leaving the mormon faith? Please share your experience.

I'm interested in hearing the number one reason why everyone left the mormon church. What was the final straw that broke the camels back for you? Please be specific. I realize for most it's for various reasons, but if you could narrow it down to one or two reasons I'd really be interested in hearing about it. Was it a certain doctrine taught? Was it something from the history? Was it the way it made you feel? Did you have some kind of spiritual experience or vision telling you to leave? etc. etc. Please share. Thanks

Views: 12077

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Praise God you are free from that controlling bondage! There is definitely a method to their controlling madness. Everything they do is to keep you mentally locked in their grip. The fear is instilled into members not to search out the history of the church. Brilliant!

I love #2 when a man dies...  My mom found the same thing when she divoriced my dad.  The church told her not to have her temple marriage revoked; by the way, she could never re-marry in the temple.    Never made sense.  My father eventually re-married in the temple.  It was 35 years after they were divorced but he re-married another woman in the temple.   I just threw up my arms.  Crazy!

It is just a very sexist religion that's why which favours men over women .... it was always like that starting with Joseph Smith and his many plural wives. In fact he used God and a "so called" divine revelation to bang all the women he fancied and turn them into his slaves...

Sorry for being outspoken and brutal about this but this is truly what i think.

The mormon church does not turn men into the good husbands and fathers that God and any human with a sense of decency and humanity would expect but into "god to be" requesting from women a total sacrifice and devotion and not the true "love thy neighbour" as your self (even more so in marital bonding) that the true chrisitian teaching is all about...

I am not suprised ... anyway who wants to be part of a church that requires so much from women including so much of their financial resources to become one of the million goddesses that a man will have in the afterlife .... not my kind of life on love on planet earth not my kind of life in the celestial kingdom ..

If only proves that though they may have valuable teachings ... they also have very damaging ones when it comes to what a true marriage should be ... of course with Mormon men entering in holy marriage with underaged girls ... what kind you expect from such basic doctrine but misery, and loneliness for women.

No women should accept such a second class status...

Hope that helps

My reasons for leaving are innumerable.

The last straw was being told that because my friends were unreceptive to the "gospel", they needed to be jettisoned in favor of more receptive "friends".

I never even thought converting my friends. It would been almost impossible anyway, since everything I had to say negative.

It never helped me with my problems as promised.

I finally, fully realized that in 55 years, I had never felt the holy ghosty, never had a prayer answered, and never had a leader be inspired to help me.  All it gave me was fear and guilt.

I left the church because I got nothing out of it anymore. I would sit for 3 hours of church each week for the last few years and nothing happened. I had no emotional, intellectual, or spiritual interest. I looked around one day while sitting in sacrament meeting and decided there wasn't anyone there I would want to hang around with. That was the end for me. I like my Sundays so much better now. Plus, I never believed Joseph Smith was a prophet and the treatment of women just sucks.

For me the last straw so to speak was learning that Joseph Smith had re-translated the Holy Bible and changed it for his own purposes. Which to me is pure blasphemy. Also I did some studying and searching and found that there is absolutely not evidence anywhere that proves anything or any event in the book of Mormon. I can not and will not stand by a lie. JS. was not a prophet and I do not believe in him or his book or church anymore.

The #1 reason, It is not true.  BOM, temples, tithing,etc was all made up by man. After 45 years of biblical at university the same can be said for the bible and all other religons.

The complete inability to finish my maturation, was what did it for me. I felt like a seedling trying shoot up above the surface for some sun and air, and after years of the seedling getting trampled on, I popped! I was so exhausted of that crunching feeling/sound I felt and heard every time I had a differing feeling or thought than I was TOLD to have. FREE AGENCY?????? Ya, right! Free agency within this fence of lies and made up stuff that they put around the sheep. 

Right on!! I was born and raise in the church and left at 50. Mastubation was so taboo in the church. Just one more way they controlled us. It puts a smile on my face when I see the word used because we have broken free. We control our own lives now. Once you're outside the trees the forest is so clear. But those still in the trees can't see the obvious.  I hope eveyone is enjoying their freedeom.

I just didnt believe. i couldnt stand the arrogance, and as i was browsing links on the historic problems i found a link to here. 

For me, it started with feeling overwhelmed with all of the demands the church makes of the members... there were always little nagging questions that didn't add up and once I realized that the local ward wasn't aware of my needs (even after me expressing them), then what else was amiss. Was it true? So I went out and tried to find proof of it being true, and found the opposite.

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service