#1 reason for leaving the mormon faith? Please share your experience.

I'm interested in hearing the number one reason why everyone left the mormon church. What was the final straw that broke the camels back for you? Please be specific. I realize for most it's for various reasons, but if you could narrow it down to one or two reasons I'd really be interested in hearing about it. Was it a certain doctrine taught? Was it something from the history? Was it the way it made you feel? Did you have some kind of spiritual experience or vision telling you to leave? etc. etc. Please share. Thanks

Views: 12226

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing, Katia! I can relate to a lot of what you're saying!

My research all started after I watched a duocumentary on the Masons. when I saw the pictures showing the different hand shakes, I about flipped out. I never heard anything from the cult about the Masonic temple rites of course, or that the Smiths were Masons. I thank God for this documentary because it caused me to immediately research other things that I had always had doubts about but pushed aside. Ultimately, I found that those doubts we're well founded.

In reference to the OP:

I've been through a lot of crazy stuff in the name of the LDS Church in my life.  Half of it, I'm pretty sure people don't believe me if I tell them. 

The final straw, though, was being in the CA Bay Area for Prop 8.  I watched a family that had danced at their gay son's civil union a year earlier tear itself apart.  I heard the most horrible vitriolic nonsense I ever could have imagined spoken from the pulpit in soft General Conference talk voices, oblivious to the statistical chances of some of the congregation being LGBT, and especially in the youth, the potential for soul-searing mental and emotional damage.  And I had one sweet sister who was giving me rides across the bay for blood work(because I was in the middle of a tough high-risk pregnancy), who took that chance every week to rant about the "gay agenda" and how Kinsey was "a child molester".

The final straw wasn't sitting in her car thinking, "Wow...if I said that I am bisexual, and tried to explain myself, she would kick me out of her car eight months pregnant in the middle of this bridge."

It wasn't the ridiculous sham of a meeting they did to try and reach out to the young people who had been upset about it. 

It wasn't even the horrible feeling of shoving my conscience down and voting for Prop 8, waiting for weeks afterward for the light and peace and blessings I'd been promised. 

It was Bruce Hafen's talk to Evergreen.  Which took the "don't ask don't tell" stance under Hinkley, and set the church back thirty years.  The talk that no loving god could ever support, and was one of the most cruel and sadistic things I have ever read.

The thing that started my search to find out if it was true or not was never being able to feel the spirit.  Once I started digging into everything I realized things didn't add up. The history was off, I felt like I had been lied to, and for a church that never changed it sure had a lot of changing going on dealing with its believes and practices. There wasn't really any one thing that led me out, it was a combination of everything I looked at. 

I picked up a book that looked interesing, "Who Cooked the Last Supper?" It shocked me so badly I could hardly believe that I had bought into such a bill of goods. I am a 61 year old woman, and I have been reading and researching the God of Abraham for the past year. Not only have I left the church, I have left Christianity behind, and am now searching for a spiritual home that makes sense to me.

RSS

Our Stories

Follow us on
Facebook & Twitter

Videos |Stories |Chat |Books |Store |Forum
Your Donations are appreciated
and help to promote and fund LAM.
Make a Donation

Privacy Tip: Setting your profile/My-Page visibility to "Members Only" will make your status updates visible to members only.

Community Links

Map

Videos

• Add Videos

We are an online social community of former mormons, ex-mormons, ex-LDS and sympathizers. Stay C.A.L.M. - Community After Leaving Mormonism

© 2017   Created by MikeUtah.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service